Friday, February 12, 2010

A New Journal


My sweetheart gave me a delicious new journal this week. I am so excited to write in it, but I still have a few pages left in my present journal. Blank pages thrill me. I started my first diary when I was 10. It was the kind with a key and yes, I wore the key around my neck on a ribbon. There were a few occasions that I carefully hid the key and the diary. But my brothers always found the key and the diary and then quoted from it to my great embarrassment.
But I kept writing. My journal got me through my teenage years when I was sure I didn't have a friend in the world. It has been gratifying that as I pass my journals on to my teenage daughters they are amazed that I wrote exactly what they have written in their own journals. My journal helped me deal with the homesickness and struggles of college, the joys and thrills of courtship and the delights and fatigues of early motherhood.
One of my great grandmothers kept a diary of sorts and what a surprise to me to read her words that mirrored my own over 50 years later.
Words have power. I hope my words will someday be able to comfort, encourage, and maybe even delight those who read them. I am sure at least that the cover of my new journal will make someone smile!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't crisp, clean, un-touched paper wondrous? I love flipping quickly through white pages and simply marveling at the freshness of it all. :)

    ReplyDelete